Bioprocess Engineering, Biofuels
firstname.lastname@example.org; Date of Joining: 16-08-2022
Dr. Bunushree Behera is currently working as Assistant Professor in Department of Biotechnology at Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET), Patiala, Punjab India. Her research expertise is algal biofuels, bioprocess optimization, wastewater treatment, bioplastics. She has completed her doctoral research in microalgal biotechnology from National Institute of Technology (NIT) Rourkela, Odisha, India. Her doctoral work has also received recognition in the form of news articles in Current Science and Steam India Reports. She has authored 25 peer reviewed publications and 3 book chapters. She has also presented her scientific works in several National and International conferences on bioenergy and sustainability and have received the best paper award in the 1 st and 2 nd International Conference on Bioprocess for Sustainable Energy and Environment in 2018 and 2020 respectively. She earned accolades as the best PhD Research Scholar at NIT Rourkela in the Research Scholar’s week for the year 2019. She is also the recipient of Prof. Dr. Amrit Kumar Pal Memorial Award, 2020-2021 as the best Research Scholar (Engineering disciplines) in the 19 th Convocation at NIT Rourkela. She has also won the reputed AU-CBT Research Excellence Award by the Biotechnology Research Society of India (BRSI) for the best PhD dissertation work in 2020. She got Biotechnology ignition grant for the year 2022 by DBT-BIRAC council. She has also been serving as journal reviewer in prestigious journals like Journal of Environmental Management, Water Research, and Bioenergy Research.
Assistant Professor (Aug' 2022 - Present) at Department of Biotechnology, Thapar Institute of Engineering and Technology (TIET), Patiala, Punjab, India
Research Associate (Nov' 2020 - Jun' 2022) at Department of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela India
Senior Research Fellow (Mar' 2018 - Aug' 2020) at Department of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela India
Junior Research Fellow (Jul' 2015 - Feb' 2018) at Department of Biotechnology and Medical Engineering, National Institute of Technology Rourkela, India
M. Tech Research Intern (May' 2014 - May' 2015) at CSIR-Central Mechanical Research Institute (CMERI) Durgapur, and National Institute of Technology Durgapur, West Bengal, India
Awards and Recognitions
Swachhta Saarthi Fellowship – 2021: Waste to Wealth Mission by the Office of Principal Scientific Advisor to the Prime-Minister, Government of India (GoI) for project entitled “Remediation of sanitary urinal water by native microalgal consortium”
AU-CBT Research Excellence Award – 2019: Falicitated by Biotech Research Society of India (BRSI) for outstanding performance during the doctoral studies.
Best Research Scholar of the Year – 2019: Selected in Research Scholar Week (RSW) at NIT Rourkela, Odisha, India
University Gold Medal for Best Graduate in Biotechnology (2009-2013): Selected at Biju Pattnaik University of Technology (BPUT) Odisha, India
National Children’s Science Congress Award – 2003: Sponsored by Department of Science & Technology, Ministry of Human Resources Development and Ministry of Environment & Forests, Government of India
Best Poster Award for “Evaluation of Flocculation Efficiency of Inorganic, Organic and Natural Coagulants for Harvesting Microalgae” at 1st International Conference on Bioprocess for Sustainable Energy and Environment (ICBSEE-India-2018) held from 6-7th Dec, 2018 at NIT Rourkela
Best Poster Award for “Synthesis, Modification and Characterization of Biochar Catalyst for Transesterification of Algal Oil” at 2nd International Conference on Bioprocess for Sustainable Energy and Environment (ICBSEE-India-2020) held from 5-7th Mar, 2020 at NIT Rourkela
Recognition in STEAMindia Reports for Carbon Sequestration for a Coal based Power Plants published on June 18, 2019.
Recognition in news for the research on utilization of natural coagulants for microalgal harvesting [Current science, volume 117, number 1, 10 Jul 2019]
Recognition in news for the research on use of microalgal extracts for tomato cultivation [Current science, volume 119, number 7, 10 Oct 2020]
Editor’s choice of leading articles in Bioresource Technology Reports (2020). “Bioprocess Engineering Principles of Microalgal Cultivation for Sustainable Biofuel Production” [https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biteb.2018.08.001]
REFERRED BOOK CHAPTERS
- Behera, B., Selvanayaki, S., Jayabalan, R., & Balasubramanian, P. (2019). An in-silico approach for enhancing the lipid productivity in microalgae by manipulating the fatty acid biosynthesis. In Soft Computing for Problem Solving (pp. 877-889). Springer, Singapore.
- Behera, B., Aly, N., Rajkumar, M. A., & Balasubramanian, P. (2019). Theoretical estimation of the microalgal potential for biofuel production and carbon dioxide sequestration in India. In Soft Computing for Problem Solving (pp. 775-790). Springer, Singapore.
- Bunushree Behera, Suman Nayak, S. Rangabhashiyam, R. Jayabalan, and P. Balasubramanian. (2021). Microalgae as a Viable Bioresource for Sustainable Biofuel Production through Biorefinery Technologies. In Bioresource Utilization in Therapeutics, Biofuel, Agriculture and Environmental protection. Apple Academic Press Inc., Canada, a Taylor & Francis group
REFERRED SCI JOURNALS
- Behera, B., Aly, N., & Balasubramanian, P. (2018). Biophysical modeling of microalgal cultivation in open ponds. Ecological Modelling, 388, 61-71.
- Behera, B., & Balasubramanian, P. (2019). Natural plant extracts as an economical and ecofriendly alternative for harvesting microalgae. Bioresource technology, 283, 45-52.
- Behera, B., Aly, N., & Balasubramanian, P. (2019). Biophysical model and techno-economic assessment of carbon sequestration by microalgal ponds in Indian coal based power plants. Journal of Cleaner production, 221, 587-597.
- Behera, B., Ravichandra, B., Rangabhashiyam, S., Jayabalan, R., & Balasubramanian, P. (2019). Qualitative analysis of biodiesel produced by alkali catalyzed transesterification of waste cooking oil using different alcohols. Indian Journal of Chemical Technology (IJCT), 26(4), 330-336.
- Behera, B., Patra, S., & Balasubramanian, P. (2020). Biological nutrient recovery from human urine by enriching mixed microalgal consortium for biodiesel production. Journal of Environmental Management, 260, 110111.
- Behera, B., Mari Selvam S., Dey, B., & Balasubramanian, P. (2020). Algal biodiesel production with engineered biochar as a heterogeneous solid acid catalyst. Bioresource Technology, 123392.
- Behera, B., Nageshwari, K., Darshini, M., & Balasubramanian, P. (2020). Evaluating the harvesting efficiency of inorganic coagulants on native microalgal consortium enriched with human urine. Water Science and Technology, 82(6), 1217-1226.
- Behera, B., Aly, N., & Paramasivan, B. (2020) Theoretical modeling of algal productivity and carbon capture potential in selected places of Odisha, India. Journal of the Institute of Engineers (India) Series A, 1-10.
- Supraja, K. V., Behera, B., & Paramasivan, B. (2019). Optimization of process variables on two-step microwave-assisted transesterification of waste cooking oil. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 1-12.
- Supraja, K. V., Behera, B., & Balasubramanian, P. (2020). Efficacy of microalgal extracts as biostimulants through seed treatment and foliar spray for tomato cultivation. Industrial Crops and Products, 151, 112453.
- Supraja, K. V., Behera, B., & Balasubramanian, P. (2020). Performance evaluation of hydroponic system for co-cultivation of microalgae and tomato plant. Journal of Cleaner Production, 122823.
- Patil, S. S., Behera, B., Sen, S., & Balasubramanian, P. (2021). Performance evaluation of bubble column photobioreactor along with CFD simulations for microalgal cultivation using human urine. Journal of Environmental Chemical Engineering, 104615.
- Behera, B., Unpaprom, Y., Ramaraj, R., Maniam, G. P., Govindan, N., & Paramasivan, B. (2021). Integrated biomolecular and bioprocess engineering strategies for enhancing the lipid yield from microalgae. Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, 148, 111270.
- Behera, B., & Balasubramanian, P. (2021). Experimental and modelling studies of convective and microwave drying kinetics for microalgae. Bioresource Technology, 125721.
- Behera, B., Supraja, K. V., & Paramasivan, B. (2021). Integrated microalgal biorefinery for the production and application of biostimulants in circular bioeconomy. Bioresource Technology, 125588.
- Behera, B., & Paramasivan, B. (2021). Uncertainty analysis and stochastic studies of techno-economics of algal carbon sequestration at Indian coal powered plants. Environmental Technology & Innovation, 101897.
- Behera, B., Laavanya D., Balasubramanian, P. (2021). Techno-economic feasibility assessment of bacterial cellulose biofilm production during the Kombucha fermentation process, Bioresource Technology, 126659.
- Behera, B., Selvam S.M., & Paramasivan, B. (2022). Research Trends and Market Opportunities of Microalgal Biorefinery Technologies from Circular Bioeconomy Perspectives. Bioresource Technology, 127038.
REFERRED NON-SCI JOURNALS
- Behera, B., Mukherjee, A., Basak, A. K., Aikat, K., Ganguly, A., & Chatterjee, P. K. (2015). Utilisation of the spent biomass from the old thatched roofs for production of bioethanol. European Journal of Biotechnology and Bioscience. 3(4), 49-55.
- Basak, A. K., Behera, B., Mukherjee, A., Aikat, K., Ganguly, A., & Chatterjee, P. K. Comparative Study of Using Sodium Chlorite and Tartaric Acid Pretreatment on Waste Rice Straw for Enhanced Production of Bioethanol. IOSR-Journal of Pharmacy and Biological Sciences, 10(4), 37-45.
- Rangabhashiyam, S., Behera, B., Aly, N., & Balasubramanian, P. (2017). Biodiesel from microalgae as a promising strategy for renewable bioenergy production-A review. Journal of Environment & Biotechnology Research, 6(4), 260-269.
- Behera, B., Acharya, A., Gargey, I. A., Aly, N., & Balasubramanian, P. (2019). Bioprocess engineering principles of microalgal cultivation for sustainable biofuel production. Bioresource Technology Reports, 5, 297-316.
- Jain, A., Behera, B., & Paramasivan, B. (2021). Evaluation of physicochemical procedures for pigment extraction from mixed microalgal consortium. Bioresource Technology Reports, 100775
Conferences, Workshops and Training Programs
- Participated in Indo-German Centre for Sustainability Winter School 2016 on “Sustainable Application of Liquid Biofuel” at IIT Madras from 22nd Feb-5th Mar, 2016.
- Participated in the Workshop on “Awareness Generation on Intellectual Property Rights” organized by the Department of Science and Technology, Government of Odisha at NIT Rourkela on 27th December, 2017.
- Participated and presented the poster “Assessing the Feasibility of Microalgal Biorefinery Strategies by Evaluating Net Energy Ratio and Greenhouse Gas Emissions” at 8th International Conference on Algal Biomass, Biofuels and Bioproducts (Algal BBB 2018) from 11th-13th June, 2018, Seattle, USA.
- Presented a paper titled “An in-silico Approach for Enhancing the Lipid Productivity in Microalgae by Manipulating the Fatty Acid Biosynthesis” during 7th International Conference on Soft Computing for
- Problem Solving (SocProS 2018) held at IIT Bhubaneswar, India from 23rd-24th December, 2018.
- Presented a paper titled “Theoretical Estimation of the Microalgal Potential for Biofuel Production and Carbon dioxide Sequestration in India” during 7th International Conference on Soft Computing for Problem Solving (SocProS 2018) held at IIT Bhubaneswar, India from 23rd-24th December, 2018.
- Participated in International Workshop-cum Course on “Techno-economic and Life-cycle Assessment as Tools for Sustainability Analysis” at CSIR-CDRI, Lucknow from 6th-10th August, 2018.
- Participated and presented paper on “Economic Analysis on Evaluating the Natural Coagulants for Harvesting Microalgal Biomass” at the International Conference on Biotechnological Research and Innovation for Sustainable Development (BioSD-2018) at CSIR-IICT, Hyderabad, India from 22nd-25th November, 2018.
- Attended a 5-day short term course sponsored by Council of Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) and Indian National Science Academy (INSA) on “Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS – 2019)” during 15th -19th July, 2019 at NIT Rourkela.
- Participated and presented the poster “Algal Biodiesel Production with Biochar as a Heterogeneous Solid Acid Catalyst” at International Conference on New Horizons in Biotechnology (NHBT 2019) at CSIR-NIIST, Thiruvananthapuram from 20th-24th November, 2019.
- Participated in 5-day online Faculty Development Program on “Biofuels and its Application in IC Engines” organized by Mechanical Engineering College, Perinthalmanna, Kerela from 1st -5th June, 2020.
- Participated in “C5: Crash Course on Climate Change and its Consequences” organized by the Unnat Bharat Abhiyan, NIT Rourkela on 10th October, 2020.
- Participated in AICTE Sponsored Short Term Course on “Advancement in Sustainable Waste Management (ASWM-2021)” at IIT Bhubaneswar, India from 24th-30th June, 2021.
- Participated in a 5-day TEQUIP sponsored International Faculty Development Program cum Workshop on “Sustainable Environmental Engineering Practices” at NIT Rourkela, India from 21st-25th September, 2020.
- Participated and presented E-paper on “Evaluation of Drying and Cell Disruption Techniques for Sustainable Microalgal Biodiesel Production” at International Conference on Biotechnology for Sustainable Agriculture, Environment and Health (BSAEH-2021) Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur, India from 4th-8th April, 2021.
- Presented a virtual poster entitled “Microalgae based Nutrient Recovery from Source-separated Urine: Perspectives towards Low Carbon Circular Bioeconomy” at Nature Conference on Waste Management and Valorization for a Sustainable Future at Seoul, Korea from 26th-28th October, 2021.
- Participated and presented a poster entitled “Feasibility and Sustainability of Microalgal Hydroponic Co-Cultivation System: Economic and Life-cycle Impact Assessment” at International Conference on Biotechnology for Resource Efficiency, Energy, Environment, Chemicals and Health organized by CSIR-IIP, Dehradun from 1st- 4th Dec, 2021
- Invited lecture on “Research Trends and Market Opportunities of Microalgal Biorefinery Technologies from Circular Bioeconomy Perspectives” at International Conference on Biotechnology for Resource Efficiency, Energy, Environment, Chemicals and Health organized by CSIR-IIP from 1st-4th Dec, 2021